Black College Institute
Benefits of attending BCI
- Student engagement with various academic disciplines through hand-ons learning and workshops within the context of the African-American cultural experience.
- College life experience of residential living, campus dining, collaborative projects in university classrooms and engagement with Virginia Tech’s faculty, staff, and students.
- Daily workshops on (1) navigating and completing the college application process and (2) applying for scholarships and financial aid.
- Students embrace Virginia Tech’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) by completing a service learning project with university and local partnerships.
- Explore Virginia Tech’s departments and organizations to build lasting connections and learn about local resources available to them.
- Engage in fun team building activities in our?Cultural,?Recreational, and?Squires Student Centers.
- All programs are FREE of cost to students!?Students must arranged their own transportation to and from the programs.
Black College Institute will offer? two 5-day sessions for seniors and one 3-day session for juniors during the summer of 2019:
Please note that transportation to Virginia Tech will?not?be provided and students should not drive personal vehicles to campus. Parents or designated representatives will be provided parking passes for student drop-off and pick-up upon arrival on campus.
- The?SmartWay bus?makes several stops in the New River Valley area, including the?Roanoke Regional Airport?and Squires Student Center (on VT's campus; where they will be met by a BCI representative).
- The MegaBus (Virginia Breeze) also makes stops on the VT campus.
- Amtrak train.
- Campus Maps
- Area Accomodations
Below are the list of recommended items to bring with you:
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Closed toed shoes or sneakers - some of the spaces we will be entering require shoes with closed toes.
- Rain gear - we will be outside for one program - rain or shine.
- Mud wear - we will be outside for one program and some of the spaces are muddy so please bring appropriate footwear.
- Business attire - 2 sets
- Also, here is a guide on business casual attire from our Career and Professional Development department.
- Casual clothing - 5 sets
- Exercise clothing - we will go to the Recreation Center at least one evening.
- Swimsuit is optional for one of the activities available
- Snacks - please refrain from bringing snacks with any type of nuts.
- Any necessary medications
- Wash cloth and towel
- Toiletries including soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, comb/brush, shower-cap, hair products, shower shoes, sunscreen
- Phone chargers - please do not bring laptops/ipads/tablets or other expensive items
- Baseball hat or cap
We will provide the following:
- Water Bottle
- Sheets, pillowcase, pillow and blanket